14 Pumpkin Treats for Kids
Jack-o'-lanterns aren't the only fun way to use a pumpkin this time of year. From breakfast to dessert, lots of dessert, we've got 10 delicious pumpkin recipes kids will love.
1. Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies: When the weather turns crisp, what's better than a gooey chocolate chip cookie? A chocolate chip cookie with rich and creamy pumpkin incorporated too. The perfect fall treat.
2. White Bean Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins (pictured above): These two kinds of chocolate pumpkin muffins have one thing in common: They both use white beans in the batter, packing a surprising little punch of protein (and the kids will never know they're in there).
3. Whoopie Pumpkin Pies: Two chocolatey cakes filled with cream cheese and pumpkin frosting make this a decadent dessert — one that kids can help assemble too.
4. Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts: Just use a Halloween cookie cutter to create witches, ghosts or any other not-too-spooky shape out of pie crust, fill and bake.
5. Pumpkin Cake Pops: Melissa d'Arabian's adorable little cake pops will make a pumpkin lover out of anyone.
6. Mini Pecan Pumpkin Pies: Combining the best of pecan and pumpkin pies into one teeny-tiny treat? Brilliant.
7. Pumpkin Scones with Maple-Cinnamon Glaze: We love scones for being a make-ahead breakfast, but these pumpkin scones had us at melt-in-your-mouth good.
8. Toasted Pumpkin Seeds: Remember making these when you were a kid? Try our updated recipe with your own brood this year.
9. Pumpkin Pancakes: Who said veggies were only for dinner? This sweet pumpkin batter gives breakfast a built-in vegetable — and makes a good candidate for breakfast-for-dinner too.
10. Pumpkin Seed Brittle: Leave it to Alton Brown to put a festive fall spin on a classic and come up with something even better.
11. Pumpkin Waffles with Maple-Walnut Apples: Crispy waffles topped with sweet apples? Fall breakfasts just don't get any better than this.
12. Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle: Have a party coming up? Let the kids help create the layers in this recipe with whipped cream, spicy pumpkin and crispy gingerbread cookies.
13. Pumpkin Spice Mini Muffins: Hands down, the best make-ahead muffins for cool fall mornings. They're full of applesauce and pumpkin puree, but light on sugar, you'll never feel bad about serving these.
14. Pumpkin Seed Dried Cheery Trail Mix: Need snacks on the go? Try this filling combination, a good-for-you snack that tastes good too.
Charity Curley Mathews is a contributor to The Huffington Post and the founder of Foodlets.com: Mini Foodies in the Making…Maybe. She lives in North Carolina with her husband plus their four small kids, and dreams of someday getting the dishwasher unloaded before it’s time to start making dinner again.