5 Cuts of Meat You Should Be Grilling for Labor Day Weekend

We rounded up our top picks for grilling to celebrate the unofficial end of summer.

Related To:

Photo by: Matt Armendariz ©2013, Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved

Matt Armendariz, 2013, Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved

You've probably had your fill of burgers and hot dogs at this point in the season, but there are a few more days to show your culinary prowess at the grill. Labor Day weekend is your last chance to experiment with a few cuts of meat that might seem intimidating at first glance, but are actually super simple to prepare.

“When grilling, the three main things to focus on are crust, flavor and even doneness on the inside. By patting the steak dry and seasoning it ahead of time, you can retain juiciness and get the desired exterior crust,” advises Grant Hon, Executive Chef & Culinary Services Manager, Omaha Steaks.

Chef Hon is a seasoned veteran of grilling, so we trust when he says to keep the grill covered as much as possible. You want it to hang out around 450 degrees F to help lock in flavor and prevent flare-ups. Another tip: Use the 60/40 method for evenly cooked meat. Grill 60% of the total cook time on the first side, then grill the remaining 40% after you flip.

Now get out there and grill.

Pork Chops (pictured above)

A 5-ingredient, 1-hour marinade infuses pork chops with tons of flavor. Speaking of flavor – Sunny goes for the bone-in variety because it helps to keep the chops from drying out and adds extra flavor while you grill. Win-win.

Bobby_Guy_Story_2010 138515.tif

Bobby_Guy_Story_2010 138515.tif

Food Stylist: Anne Disrude Prop Stylist: Meghan Guthrie ,Food Stylist: Anne DisrudeProp Stylist: Meghan Guthrie

A superstar piece of meat like rib-eyes need nothing besides some salt, pepper and oil to shine. Bobby suggests leaving the steak at room temperature for a little while to ensure even cooking when it hits the grill.

Before you start backing away slowly from what may sound like an intimidating dish, know that Giada would never lead you astray (and almost 200 5-star reviews can't be wrong). You're going to impress the heck out of your guests and we're not going to tell anyone how easy it really was.

Marcela uses a combination of oranges, beer and soy sauce to create layers of flavor in her marinade. The carbonation in beer helps those flavors sink in to the meat. Leftovers? It's doubtful, but if you happen to have any, thinly slice and use as a filling for some out-of-this-world tacos.

LR0401_marinated-grilled-hanger-steak

LR0401_marinated-grilled-hanger-steak

Anne's mustard-based marinade helps to tenderize the often-overlooked hanger steak. Pro Tip: You can ask your butcher (nicely!) to remove the tough membrane so all you have to do is marinate and get grilling.

Keep Reading

Next Up

Labor Day Recipes for a Crowd

Food Network's crowd-pleasing recipes like ribs, corn casserole and ice cream cake will be the stars of your Labor Day cookout menu.

Top Picnic Posts for Labor Day

A round-up of our best articles to get you ready for your Labor Day picnic.

Spotlight Recipes: A Labor Day Spread

Cherish summer's final days and seasonal flavors with this versatile spread. Our menu features veggie kabobs to start, a spicy grilled chicken (or grilled zucchini for the meat-wary) and a cooling grilled fruit sundae to round things out.

The Last Hurrah: Grill Absolutely Everything on Labor Day — Summer Soiree

Say cheers to a summer well spent by going big on Monday with a Labor Day party menu that is grilled through and through.

Summer's Greatest Hits — Weekend Cookout

For this weekend's cookout, FN Dish is sharing Food Network's best-ever summer recipes for classic barbecue fare from Bobby, Alton, the Neelys and Giada.

Summer Showdown Finale: All-Star Labor Day Cookout

All summer long, you’ve voted for your favorite Food Network Star winners or Chopped judges in head-to-head matchups of their best grill-out dishes. Week after week, it was a tight race, and with the start of September just around the corner, it’s finally time to reveal the Summer Showdown winner.

Win Summer While You Still Can

Labor Day weekend marks the unofficial end of summer, and next Tuesday will be a little bit sad even for those of us who are not going back to school. So take full advantage of these last few days and send your summer off on a winning note.