Sandra's Saturday Savings: Fun Facts
Every Saturday morning in January, Sandra Lee teams up with the FN Dish to bring you budget-friendly tips for creating delicious dishes and meals for your family. From the supermarket to the stove, she'll help you stretch every dollar and minute.
This week, Sandra shares some useful facts about grocery store prices and American eating (and spending) habits.
1. Freeze leftovers as soon as possible to maintain quality. Cooked meats can be frozen for up to 3 months.
2. In 1959, Americans spent $2.7 billion annually on frozen food. Today we spend $26.6 billion!
3. Boxed pie crust mix costs 73% less than refrigerated pre-made pie crust.
4. Check the unit price. Those little stickers on the grocery store shelves tell you how much you may or may not save by buying in larger quantities.
5. Americans spend approximately 4.1% of their annual income on food outside the home and 5.8% of their income on food in the home.