Summer Fest: What To Do With Overripe Peaches
Peaches are one of the top reasons I love summer. There is nothing quite like biting into a ripe, juicy peach on a hot day and feeling the sweet nectar dribble down your mouth. Napkin? No, thank you.
Unfortunately, peaches are the kind of fruit that can get overripe pretty quickly. Forget them in your crisper for even a few days, and you are stuck with mushy, bruised fruit. Luckily, there are loads of healthy ways to prepare overripe peaches that still bring out all the same delicious summery, peachy flavor. Here are Healthy Eats’ top 5 uses for peaches that are past their prime.
1. Make a chutney – The peaches are already mushy, so they will cook quickly. Plus, you are cooking them with loads of other pungent flavors like shallots, mustard and cherries, so you don’t have to worry about tasting any sourness that might have developed in your peaches.
2. Freeze them and blend them into smoothie – Freeze overripe peaches and blend them into a refreshing fruit smoothie. The final product will have great peach flavor and color, and no one will be able to tell they were bruised or mushy to begin with. Freezing peaches generally is also a great way to preserve them past the summer months.
3. Make a warm fruit salad – Simmer some overripe peaches with sugar, cherries and balsamic vinegar and top with a generous dollop of yogurt.
4. Make a glaze to put on meat – Peaches and meat make for a sweet and salty match made in heaven. Make an easy and flavorful glaze for grilled chicken by reducing the peaches with some sugar and brushing that over your meat.
5. Mix up some sangria – Grate and dice overripe peaches into a pitcher and add white wine and a few leaves of lemon verbena for a bright summer drink.
A word to the wise: Don't grill overripe peaches. They will break apart and become mushy and messy when exposed to the grill.
Jeanette's Healthy Living: Peach Blackberry Arugula Salad
Cooking With Elise: Streusel Topped Peach Muffins With Peach Butter
From My Corner of Saratoga: Grilled Peaches With Caramel-Ginger Sauce and Pound Cake
Delicious Lean: Smokey Peach Chipotle Grilled Chicken
Sweet Life Bake: Jicama Tortilla Salad With Peach Dressing