Top Holiday Recipes, Lightened Up: Alton’s Free Range Fruit Cake
Love it or hate it, ‘tis the season for fruitcake! Alton Brown’s version is a recipe worth trying, but all the brandy, dried fruit, and nuts can weigh you down. Here are 6 ways to lighten up this famously heavy holiday treat.
- Use smaller amounts of dried fruit – most average out to 350 calories per cup.
- Downsize the portion of nuts – they have up to 800 calories per cup.
- Cut skinny slices – each ounce has about 110 calories and 5 grams of fat. Plus, it lasts forever, so you don't have to worry about it going bad before you polish it off.
- Brandy-soaking is a fruitcake must, but each cup adds over 500 calories – use less.
- Slim down the fat in the cake using these tips.
- Top a little yogurt with crunchy fruitcake bits for a satisfying, seasonal snack.
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana's full bio »