Be a Healthier Host: Cookouts
Want to host a cookout without busting a gut for bikini season? Use our tips and lightened-up versions of classic alfresco fare to throw a backyard bash that your guests will love and feel good about.
- Go light on the apps. Pick only two starters so everyone doesn’t fill up -- we like chicken wings and chips & salsa.
- Drink responsibly. People tend to drink more when cooking out, especially if it’s hot. Have lots of ice–cold (and calorie-free) sparkling water and pitchers of lemon water at the ready.
- Offer vegetarian options. Try grilled vegetable sandwiches or veggie burgers.
- Serve fewer sides. Just like the apps, pick two favorite side dishes. This way your guests won’t be tempted to try six different things.
- Save room for dessert! Serve small desserts like cookies or cupcakes along with a big fruit salad.
Our made-over versions of picnic favorites are so good, no one will know they’re lightened up.
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana's full bio »