Knife Skills 101
Stay sharp with this step-by-step guide.
Here’s how to keep your blades sharp.
- Wash by Hand. Dishwashers are harsh on blades: Knives can hit other items or corrode from food or water. Wash them in warm soapy water, then dry and store.
- No Scraping! After chopping, avoid scraping the blade across the cutting board to move ingredients. Use the blunt side of the knife instead.
- Sharpen Regularly. Look for knife-sharpening services at specialty grocery or kitchenware stores. Dull knives do a sloppy job — and they’re dangerous, too.
Tackle any kitchen task with these three basic blades.
- Chef's: This all-purpose knife (8- to 10-inch blade) is your go-to for most prep work. It can handle small jobs, like mincing garlic, or big ones, like breaking down squash or carving meat.
- Serrated: The saw-toothed edge of this long knife is essential for cutting bread but also does a great job slicing ripe tomatoes or trimming cake layers.
- Paring: A small, sturdy paring knife (3- to 4-inch blade) is key for detail work, like deveining shrimp, hulling strawberries and other tasks that require precision.
How to ChopSee All Photos
How to DiceSee All Photos
How to MinceSee All Photos
How to JulienneSee All Photos
How to ShredSee All Photos
How to Make Ice Cream Hot Dogs
These fake out desserts will have all your cookout guests doing a double take!
How to Bake a Cake: A Step-by-Step Guide
Follow this easy guide for mixing, prepping and baking a cake, then watch our how-to video.
How to Make a Basic Tomato Sauce: A Step-by-Step Guide
Read these simple steps for making a delicious tomato sauce, then watch our how-to video.
14 Ways to Use a Can of Spam
Whether it’s a mainstay in your pantry or you’re trying it for the first time, here are some fresh ways to use budget-friendly Spam.
How to Make Pride Flag Cookies This Pride Month
From the colors to the symbolism behind each, here's everything you need to know about some LGBTQ+ flags.
I Made Bagels For a Month Straight — Here’s What I Learned
Here's the fix for flat bagels!
How to Gift the Perfect Wine to Absolutely Anyone
Pro tip: When in doubt, bring bubbles.
Everything You Need to Know About Dry Ice
Be sure to keep this in mind before transporting it in your car.
I Hated Milk Until I Tried This Hack from Katie Lee
Berry milk has totally changed my life.
7 Tips to Organize Your Decorating and Baking Supplies
Much of the organizing of decorating and baking supplies comes down to labeled bins you can nest and stack.