It's a Snap!
Turn store-bought gingersnaps into seven fun holiday treats.
1. Gingersnap S’mores Top 8 gingersnaps with 1 caramel-filled dark chocolate square each; set aside. Arrange 8 more gingersnaps on a foil-lined baking sheet; top each with 1 marshmallow. Broil until the marshmallows start browning, 15 to 30 seconds. Sandwich with the chocolate-topped gingersnaps.
2. Gingersnap-Pumpkin Mini Cheesecakes Put a gingersnap in each of 12 lined muffin cups. Stir one 1/4-ounce packet unflavored gelatin into 2 tablespoons warm water in a bowl until mostly dissolved; let stand 5 minutes, then microwave in 10-second intervals until melted. Beat 12 ounces softened cream cheese, 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, 2/3 cup each pumpkin puree and heavy cream, the gelatin mixture and 1/2 teaspoon each pumpkin pie spice and vanilla in a large bowl with a mixer until fluffy. Spread in the muffin cups over the gingersnaps; refrigerate until set, 2 hours. Top with whipped cream and crushed gingersnaps.
3. Gingersnap-Pecan Granola Whisk 1/3 cup each maple syrup and melted coconut oil, 1/4 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon each gingerbread spice and kosher salt in a large bowl. Stir in 2 cups rolled oats, 1 cup each chopped gingersnaps and sweetened shredded coconut and 1/2 cup chopped pecans. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees F, stirring halfway through, until toasted, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool completely.
4. Gingersnap–Peanut Butter Cereal Bars Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in one 10-ounce bag mini marshmallows until melted, then add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Remove from the heat and stir in 5 cups crisp rice cereal, then 2 cups roughly chopped gingersnaps and 1 cup peanut butter chips. Transfer to an oiled foil-lined 9-inch square baking dish; press evenly. Let cool, then cut into squares.
5. Gingersnap Milkshake Soak 1/2 cup crushed gingersnaps in 1/2 cup milk until dissolved, about 30 minutes. Puree in a blender with 1 pint vanilla ice cream and a pinch of gingerbread spice until smooth. Divide between 2 glasses; top with whipped cream and more crushed gingersnaps.
6. Gingersnap Ice Cream Sandwiches Spread slightly softened butter pecan ice cream between gingersnaps to make 12 sandwiches. Freeze until firm, 2 hours. Microwave 4 ounces chopped dark chocolate with 1 tablespoon coconut oil until melted; stir until smooth. Dip each ice cream sandwich halfway in the chocolate, then top with chopped toffee bars and freeze until set, 5 minutes.
7. Gingersnap Cookie Butter Pulse 2 cups crushed gingersnaps in a food processor until finely ground. Add 1 stick softened butter, 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk and 1/4 teaspoon each ground ginger and cinnamon; pulse until smooth.
Photographs by Ralph Smith