- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), about 3 pounds,excess fat removed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 onion, finely minced
- 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced (seeds discarded if youdon't like it spicy)
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups mango puree
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Brioche rolls, split
- Bread and butter pickles
For the rub: Combine the brown sugar, paprika and salt in a small bowl and massage it into the pork shoulder until well coated. Set aside while you make the BBQ sauce. You could do this a day ahead and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
For the BBQ sauce: In a large saucepan, warm the oil over low heat until hot and shimmering. Add the cumin and fennel seeds; they should splutter upon contact, be careful! Once the spluttering subsides, add the ginger, onions, serrano and a little salt to taste. Saute until they soften, but don't let them get any color. Add the mango puree, lime juice, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and molasses. Simmer about 5 minutes. Taste and season.
Add the pork shoulder to the saucepan, coating it with the sauce. Cover, and gently simmer until the pork falls apart easily, stirring and turning often, about 3 hours.
Remove the pork from the saucepan and shred it using 2 forks. Return it to the sauce and stir to coat with the sauce. Put a generous spoonful of the pork inside a brioche bun, top with a few slices of pickle and serve. Prepare to have your loved one swoon over you!