Spiced Carrot Soup with Cilantro Crema
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger, divided
- 2 tablespoons ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 pounds carrots, washed, unpeeled, roughly chopped
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
- Water, as needed
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the onions, garlic, 1 tablespoon grated ginger, cardamom, and cinnamon. Stir to combine and saute for 6 minutes. Add the carrots and sweet potatoes. Saute for another 2 minutes.
Add enough water to cover all of the vegetables. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook until the carrots and sweet potatoes are soft, about 45 minutes.
Place the pot over medium-low heat and stir in the orange juice, apple cider vinegar, and remaining grated ginger. Simmer the mixture for 15 minutes.
In a small bowl, stir the creme fraiche and cilantro together.
To serve: Ladle the soup into bowls and top each bowl with a spoonful of the creme fraiche-cilantro mixture.
Food Network Kitchens have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.