- 1/2 pound beef bones
- 1/3 pound carrots, roughly chopped
- 1/3 pound celery, roughly chopped
- 1/3 pound yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 ounce instant au jus powder, or 5 crushed beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 pounds beef roast, inside round or top round
- 1/2 gallon beef stock
- 3 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix the au jus powder or bouillon cubes with the garlic and 1 teaspoon of water to make a heavy paste. Coat the beef roast thoroughly. Cover the roast with foil and cook along with the bones for 1 hour. Remove the foil and cook 30 minutes longer. Allow it to rest for 15 minutes.
Cut the beef into 3/4-inch cubes. Add to the liquid and simmer for 30 minutes.
For the noodles: In a large mixing bowl, stir together 3 cups of flour and the salt.
In another bowl, combine 2/3 cup water, eggs, yolks, and oil. Mix, and then add to the dry ingredients.
Knead the dough until it is smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour, as needed. Cover with a towel and let rest for 10 minutes. Divide the dough in half on a lightly floured surface. Roll each half into a 12 by 12-inch square, about 1/16-inch thick. Cut into strips 2 to 3 inches long. Toss the noodles with the remaining flour on the surface to separate.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
- Easy of preparation: intermediate