Charleston Shrimp and Grits with Tasso Blue Crab Gravy
- For the Tasso Blue Crab Gravy:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces tasso ham, finely diced
- 1 cup finely diced white onion
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 1 green pepper, finely diced
- 1 yellow pepper, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon spicy blackening Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups fish stock or vegetable or chicken stock, divided
- 4 ounces lump blue crab
- 4 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 3 pounds spicy sausage, thinly sliced
- Grits, optional
- To make the Tasoo Blue Crab Gravy:
Preheat a large bottom pot to medium-high heat.
Add butter to pot and let melt. Add ham, white onion, peppers, Cajun seasoning, salt, brown sugar, onion powder, and minced garlic. Stir in flour and continue to cook while stirring until you achieve a dark brown color, a brown roux. Slowly whisk in 6 cups of fish stock, add slowly to help avoid lumps. Bring to a boil and use remaining 2 cups of stock to adjust for consistency. Remove from heat and add the crabmeat. Set aside for use.
In a saute pan, over medium-high heat, saute shrimp and sausage. Place shrimp and sausage over grits, if using, and top with crab gravy sauce.
*Cooks note: For home use it is more practical to use instant grits. Cook your grits first and do not be afraid to season to your liking. This is a main component to your dish.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
LoLa Shrimp and Parmesan Polenta Grits with Tomato Basil Concasse, Cajun Snapper and Shrimp over Bacon Cheddar Cheese Grits with Red Pepper Coulis, Pancetta Wrapped Bayou La Batre Shrimp with Rikards Mill Yellow Corn Grits and Grilled Heirloom Tomatoes, Baked Ham Recipes, Easy Lunch, Easy Casserole, Recipes For a Crowd, Fried Chicken Recipes, Grits