- 1 cup real mayonnaise
- 2 heaping tablespoons finely diced salty gherkins
- 1 tightly packed tablespoon finely chopped capers
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Fried Oyster Sandwich:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha chili sauce (more if you're feeling feisty!)
- 12 jumbo oysters, shucked (8 if they are huge beach oysters)
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 4 sesame-seed hamburger buns
- Pinch kosher salt
- 6 heaping tablespoons tartar sauce
- 2 cups finely sliced (chiffonade) romaine lettuce
Cook's Note: You can shuck your own oysters or ask your fishmonger for pre-shucked oyster meat. The bigger the better!!
For the fried oyster sandwich: Combine the buttermilk and chili sauce and mix well. Soak the shucked oysters in the mixture and refrigerate, overnight if you can.
Preheat the vegetable oil to 350 degrees F.
Pour the flour out onto a plate. Gently remove the oysters one by one from the buttermilk, being careful not to tear them, and lay them quickly in the flour. The excess buttermilk will help for the delicious crunchy bits so don't worry about making a mess. Cover the oysters completely with flour, using clean hands, and gently press them down to make sure they are completely coated. Remove from the flour, shaking off the excess, and place them in the fryer. Cook until nicely browned, just past golden (think of your favorite fried chicken).
While the oysters are cooking, toast the insides of the buns and set aside. Transfer the oysters to a paper towel-lined plate to drain, and season with the salt.
Spread the tartar sauce on both sides of the buns. Place the oysters on the bottom half then top with the shredded romaine. Close them up, roll up your sleeves, crack your favorite brew and dig in!
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and may have been scaled down from a bulk recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.