- 1/2 cup finely diced chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 3/4 cup small diced manchego cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions, white and green parts, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 4 eggs
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 teaspoons Spice Mixture, recipe follows
- Special equipment: a large pastry bag fitted a large plain tip, an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment
- Spice Mixture:
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons Spanish sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
Heat a small saute pan over low heat and lightly cook the chorizo. Remove from the pan and let cool. Combine the chorizo, cheese, and green onion and set aside.
Put the water, butter, and salt in a heavy 4-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally, to melt the butter. Remove from the heat and add the flour all at once. Stir with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together to form a ball. Return the pan to medium-high heat and beat constantly until a film develops on the bottom of the pan, about 2 minutes. Do not let it burn
Transfer the dough to an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue to beat the dough for about 3 to 4 minutes at high speed. Stir the chorizo mixture into the dough until evenly distributed. Transfer to a pastry bag. On a lightly floured work surface, pipe into 1-foot long ropes and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces. Lightly dust with flour.
Pour 2 cups of vegetable oil into a wok and heat to 375 degrees F. Using a metal spoon drop the dough pieces into the hot oil. Fry the chorizo puffs for 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden. Take care not to over crowd the oil. Drain on absorbent paper and season immediately with 1 teaspoon of the Spice Mixture. Repeat until all dough has been used.
Serve warm.Spice Mixture:
Stir all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Store in a jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.