- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, finely diced
- 1 small carrot, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds extra-lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 8-ounce can no-salt added tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon unsulphered molasses
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the oil in a large skillet, add the onion and mushrooms and cook until the liquid is evaporated and the mushrooms begin to brown about 8 minutes. Stir in the carrots, tomato paste, thyme and garlic and cook, stirring, 2 minutes more. Allow to cool completely.
In a large bowl combine the beef, oats, eggs, Worcestershire sauce, mushroom mixture, salt and pepper. Mix until just well combined. Transfer the mixture to a 9x13 inch baking dish and shape into a loaf about 5 inches wide and 2 inches high.
In a small bowl whisk the tomato sauce, molasses and mustard and pour over the meatloaf.
Cook the meatloaf until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees, about 55-60 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest 15 minutes before slicing.
Serving Size: one 1-inch thick slice
Calories 250; Total Fat 12 g; (Sat Fat 4 g, Mono Fat 5.5 g, Poly Fat 1 g) ; Protein 21 g; Carb 14 g; Fiber 2 g; Cholesterol 110 mg; Sodium 370 mg
Excellent source of: Niacin, Phosphorus, Protein, Selenium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B12, Zinc
Good source of: Copper, Iron, Pantothenic Acid, Potassium, Riboflavin, Vitamin C