Emeril's Oven-Braised Osso Buco with Orzo "Risotto"
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
- 8 veal shanks, about 1 1/2 inches thick, tied tightly around the middle with kitchen string
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups dry red wine
- 1 1/2 quarts rich veal or beef stock
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds orzo pasta (uncooked)
- 3/4 cup finely grated Parmesan, for serving
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the olive oil and heat until very hot. In a shallow bowl or plate combine the flour with the Essence and dredge the shanks in the seasoned flour. Shake the shanks to remove any excess flour, then transfer shanks to the pot and cook until well-browned on all sides, working in batches if necessary, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the shanks to a roasting pan or deep lasagna pan large enough to hold the shanks in 1 layer and set aside. Add the onions, celery and carrots to the Dutch oven and cook until softened and lightly browned around the edges, 4 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze the pot with the red wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Transfer to the roasting pan along with the stock and bring to a boil on the stovetop. Cover the roasting pan and transfer to the oven. Cook for about 2 1/2 hours, or until the shanks are very tender.
Remove from the oven and add the parsley and orzo to the pan; stir to distribute evenly. Replace the cover and return the pan to the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the pot from the oven and stir gently. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Serve immediately, 1 shank per person on top of a bed of orzo. Garnish with some of the grated Parmesan.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse,