Carrot-Ginger Chicken and Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 2 1/2 -inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced into rounds
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh mint and/or cilantro
- 1 cup whole-milk plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Put the rice, cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a saucepan and cover with water by 1 inch. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, then uncover and cook until the rice is just tender, about 8 minutes. Drain; reserve the cinnamon stick.
Pulse the ginger, coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 tablespoon water in a mini food processor. Heat the vegetable oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the ginger mixture and carrots and cook 2 minutes, adding a splash of water if the mixture sticks. Stir in 1/3 cup water, the chicken, herbs and yogurt and heat through. Season with salt.
Top the chicken mixture with the rice and the reserved cinnamon stick; sprinkle with the almonds. Bake until the rice is cooked through and the almonds are lightly toasted, 8 to 12 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 485; Fat 24 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol 80 mg; Sodium 1,022 mg; Carbohydrate 44 g; Fiber 3 g; Protein 24 g
Thank you! your flag was submitted.