Coconut Fish Sticks
- 1 1/4 pounds pollack or cod fillets, cut into 1-inch-thick strips
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup jarred mango chutney
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 lemons (1 juiced, 1 cut into wedges)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (preferably panko)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- Vegetable oil, for frying
Combine the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a shallow bowl. Beat the eggs with 1/4 cup water in another shallow bowl. Mix the breadcrumbs, coconut, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a third shallow bowl. Drain the fish, then coat each piece in the seasoned flour, dip in the egg mixture and roll in the breadcrumb mixture. Set on a rack until ready to cook.
Put the broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl with 3 tablespoons water, cover with plastic wrap and microwave until tender, 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry the fish sticks until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with the broccoli, lemon wedges and chutney sauce.
Per serving: Calories 701; Fat 40 g (Saturated 16 g); Cholesterol 161 mg; Sodium 715 mg; Carbohydrate 49 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 36 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.