Corn, Squash and Beef Casserole
- 2 cups leftover sauerbraten gravy
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 piece leftover sauerbraten brisket, cut into bite-size pieces (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup leftover sauerbraten vegetables, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups frozen butternut squash chunks (about 10 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 15 -ounce can creamed corn
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Whisk the gravy and 1 tablespoon flour in a medium ovenproof skillet; bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking frequently. Add the brisket, sauerbraten vegetables, squash, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring gently, until the squash is heated through, about 5 minutes. Spread the mixture in an even layer in the skillet.
Whisk the corn, eggs, cheese, the remaining 1 tablespoon flour, and pepper to taste in a bowl. Pour over the meat mixture, transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the topping is set and browned in spots, 30 to 35 minutes. Let rest a few minutes before serving.
Per serving: Calories 587; Fat 25 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 199 mg; Sodium 1,015 mg; Carbohydrate 47 g; Fiber 5 g; Protein 51 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.