- For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canned whole-berry cranberry sauce
- For the frosting:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup canned whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Dried cranberries, for topping
Beat the butter and granulated sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 3 more minutes. Reduce the speed to low; add the flour mixture and beat until just incorporated, about 1 minute. Add the sour cream and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 more minutes.
Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about22 minutes. Let sit until cool enough to handle, then gently press the back of a small spoon into the center of each cupcake to make an indentation. Fill each indentation with a few teaspoons of cranberry sauce. Remove the cupcakes to a rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the frosting: Beat the butter and 1 cup confectioners' sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until combined, about 2 minutes. Reduce the mixer speed to medium low; gradually add the remaining 2 cups confectioners' sugar and beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Increase the speed to medium high; beat in the cranberry sauce, vanilla and salt until combined. Spread the frosting on the cupcakes and top with dried cranberries.
Photograph by Charles Masters
More Recipes and Ideas:
Winning Cupcake The King of Cupcakes (Elvis), Bloody Mary Cupcakes, Cayenne Pepper Buttercream, Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Mascarpone Filling and Zinfandel Buttercream, Shortbread Cookie Recipes, Apple Crisp Recipes, Banana Split Recipes, Gelato Recipes, Frosting, Baking
Thank you! your flag was submitted.