Grilled Chicken Salad With Gazpacho Dressing
- Cooking spray, for the pan
- 1 pound chicken cutlets
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 8 cups baby arugula (about 8 ounces)
- 1 15 -ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Preheat a grill pan over medium heat and lightly coat with cooking spray. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill until well marked and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side; transfer to a plate. Add the bread to the pan and grill until toasted, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and rub with the garlic.
Make the dressing: Puree the olive oil, vinegar, 2 tablespoons water, half each of the cucumber, tomatoes, parsley and almonds, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a blender until smooth.
Cut the chicken into strips. Tear the bread into bite-size pieces. Combine the arugula, chickpeas, chicken, bread and the remaining cucumber, tomatoes, parsley and almonds in a large bowl. Add half of the dressing, season with salt and pepper and toss. Divide among shallow bowls. Drizzle with the remaining dressing.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos