Kielbasa Grilled Cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 16 -ounce bag shredded coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh herbs (such as parsley and dill)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 8 ounces kielbasa, sliced diagonally 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 8 slices rye bread
- 8 slices cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (seeds removed for less heat)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the kielbasa and cook until browned on both sides, 2 minutes; transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
Wipe out the skillet; add 1/2 tablespoon butter and melt over medium heat. Add 2 sandwiches and press another large skillet on top. Cook, pressing gently, until the bread is golden brown and the cheese melts, 4 to 5 minutes per side, adding another 1/2 tablespoon butter to the skillet when you flip. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. Serve with the coleslaw.
Photograph by Justin Walker