Light Nicoise Salad
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes, quartered
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 pound sugar snap peas, strings removed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 5 -ounce cans tuna packed in water, drained
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped pitted kalamata or nicoise olives
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper
Put the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water by about 2 inches. Add a pinch of salt, cover and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium high and simmer until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the snap peas and continue simmering, covered, until the peas are crisp-tender, about 3 more minutes. Drain the potatoes and peas and rinse under cold water; transfer to a large bowl.
Make the dressing: Puree the tomatoes, olive oil, mayonnaise, vinegar and 1 tablespoon water in a blender.
Divide the lettuce among 4 bowls and drizzle with some of the dressing. Add the tuna, bell pepper, olives and basil to the potatoes and peas; add the remaining dressing and toss gently to coat. Season with salt and pepper, then pile on top of the lettuce.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine