Light Nicoise Salad
- 1 pound small red-skinned potatoes, quartered
- Kosher salt
- 3/4 pound sugar snap peas, strings removed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 2 5 -ounce cans tuna packed in water, drained
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon chopped pitted kalamata or nicoise olives
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Freshly ground pepper
Put the potatoes in a medium pot and cover with water by about 2 inches. Add a pinch of salt, cover and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium high and simmer until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the snap peas and continue simmering, covered, until the peas are crisp-tender, about 3 more minutes. Drain the potatoes and peas and rinse under cold water; transfer to a large bowl.
Make the dressing: Puree the tomatoes, olive oil, mayonnaise, vinegar and 1 tablespoon water in a blender.
Divide the lettuce among 4 bowls and drizzle with some of the dressing. Add the tuna, bell pepper, olives and basil to the potatoes and peas; add the remaining dressing and toss gently to coat. Season with salt and pepper, then pile on top of the lettuce.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine