Light Noodle Bake
- 9 sheets no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 small shallot
- 3 cups fat-free low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped celery
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped carrots
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 large egg
- 2 -3 plum tomatoes, chopped
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 475 degrees F. Fill a bowl with hot water; add the noodles and soak 10 minutes. Drain and hang side by side over the bowl's edge so the noodles don't stick.
Meanwhile, mince the shallot in a food processor. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and 1 cup broth; cook 3 minutes. Add the flour and nutmeg; whisk until smooth, 1 minute. Whisk in the remaining 2 cups broth; cook, whisking, until thickened, 7 minutes. Whisk in 1/4 cup ricotta and the parsley; remove from the heat. The sauce will look textured from the cheese.
Mince the celery and carrots in the food processor. Add the remaining 3/4 cup ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella and the egg; pulse until smooth. Spread 2 tablespoons of the shallot sauce in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Top with 3 noodles and half of the mozzarella mixture. Repeat the layers, ending with noodles. Top with the remaining shallot sauce, the tomatoes and the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella. Bake until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Per serving: Calories 421; Fat 14 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 107 mg; Sodium 434 mg; Carbohydrate 47 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 26 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.