Onion Soup-Style Farro
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brandy or cognac
- 2 cups farro
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (about 1 ounce), plus a small piece of rind
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F. Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the brandy and cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the farro, Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper; cook, stirring, until the farro is coated, 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups water, the bay leaf and the parmesan rind. Bring to a boil, then stir in the grated parmesan.
Transfer the mixture to a 1 1/2-quart baking dish, cover with foil and bake until most of the liquid is absorbed and the farro is tender, about 40 minutes. Remove from the oven; discard the bay leaf and parmesan rind. Continue baking, uncovered, until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 more minutes. Sprinkle with the grated gruyere; turn on the broiler and broil until melted and golden brown in spots, about 1 minute. Top with the parsley.
Photograph by Linda Pug
Thank you! your flag was submitted.