Pierogi and Squash Stew
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
- 1 10 -ounce bag frozen cubed butternut squash, thawed
- 1 12 -to-13-ounce package cheddar and potato pierogies
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; add the sausage and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and stir well to coat. Increase the heat to medium high, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute, then stir in the chicken broth and 2 cups water, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
Add the coleslaw mix to the pot, cover and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the cabbage is wilted, about 3 minutes. Add the squash and pierogies and simmer, uncovered, until the pierogies are cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Season with salt. Divide among bowls and top with the sour cream, and pepper to taste.
Per serving: Calories 388; Fat 13 g (Saturated 5 g); Cholesterol75 mg; Sodium 763 mg; Carbohydrate 46 g; Fiber 4 g; Protein 24 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
More Recipes and Ideas:
Mexican Turkey and Squash Stew, Curried Butternut Squash Soup with Paneer (Indian Cheese) Croutons and Turmeric Oil, Sweet and Sour Butternut Squash---Zucca in Agrodolce, Squash, Squash Casserole Recipes, Tomato Soup Recipes, Tortilla Soup Recipes, Butternut Squash, Pumpkin Soup Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.