Ranch Chicken Sandwiches
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 2 to 3 dashes hot sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 5 -to-6-ounce chicken cutlets
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or scallions
- 4 slices pepper jack cheese
- 4 kaiser or onion rolls, split and toasted
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices, for topping
- Potato chips, for serving (optional)
Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium high. Combine 1/4 cup buttermilk, the hot sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add the chicken and turn to coat; let stand 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the ranch sauce: Mince the garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt on a cutting board; mash with the flat side of a chef's knife to make a paste. Combine the garlic paste, mayonnaise, vinegar, the remaining 2 tablespoons buttermilk and the chives in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Transfer the chicken to the grill, letting the excess marinade drip off. Grill until marked on the bottom, 3 to 4 minutes, then flip the chicken, top each piece with a slice of cheese and continue grilling until just cooked through, 2 to 4 more minutes.
Spread each roll with some of the ranch sauce and fill with the chicken, lettuce and tomato. Serve with potato chips.
Per serving: Calories 581; Fat 30 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 116 mg; Sodium 676 mg; Carbohydrate 34 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 42 g
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.