Roasted Fennel with Charred Tomatoes, Olives, and Pecorino
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchens
Recipe courtesy Food Network Kitchens for entwine.
Copyright 2011 Television Food Network, G.P. All rights reserved
The flavor of fennel sings when roasted, and marries well with the Mediterranean flavors of slightly charred tomatoes, meaty kalamata olives[, and crystalline bursts of earthy, aged Parmesan cheese. The textures and flavors play off each other in this simple one-pan dish that makes an elegant first course or accompaniment to fish, seafood, lamb, or chicken.]
- 2 large bulbs fennel, quartered through the core
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 ounce piece pecorino cheese
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Nestle the fennel into a skillet, baking dish, or sheet pan so that it fits in one layer. Drizzle with the olive oil, turning to coat all sides. Season with salt and pepper, then finely grate half the pecorino cheese over the top. Roast until the fennel is fork tender, about 45 minutes.
2. Place the tomatoes, cut-side up, on top of the fennel. Turn the oven to broil. Broil the tomatoes until slightly charred and warmed through, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle the olives and crumble the remaining pecorino cheese over the top before serving. Garnish with the parsley.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.