Salmon With Curried Lentils
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot paprika
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- Kosher salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 6 -ounce center-cut salmon fillets
- 5 cups baby arugula (about 3 ounces)
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic, shallot, curry powder and 1/2 teaspoon paprika; cook, stirring often, until the shallot is soft, about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook until slightly softened, 2 minutes. Add the lentils, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 2 1/2 cups water; increase the heat to medium high and bring to a simmer. Partially cover and cook, stirring often and adjusting the heat to maintain a simmer, until the lentils are tender, about 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer until thick, 5 to 10 more minutes. Add lemon juice and salt to taste.
Preheat the broiler. Put the salmon on a foil-lined baking sheet, skin-side down. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1 teaspoon paprika and broil until just cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
Toss the arugula with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, and salt and lemon juice to taste. Serve with the lentils and salmon.
Photograph by Justin Walker
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay