Salt-and-Vinegar Fish Sticks
- 1 10 -ounce bag salt-and-vinegar potato chips (about 10 cups), finely crushed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt
- Large pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons tartar sauce
- 2 pounds haddock or pollock fillets, pin bones removed, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Lemon wedges and/or malt vinegar, for serving
One at a time, dredge each fish strip in the potato chip mixture, turning to coat, then dip in the egg mixture and dredge again in the potato chip mixture. Place on a baking sheet until ready to fry.
Fill a large skillet about halfway with vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350 degrees F. Working in batches, fry the fish, turning, until golden brown and crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. (Let the oil return to 350 degrees F between batches.) Drain on paper towels and season with salt. Serve with lemon wedges and/or vinegar.
Photograph by Johnny Miller
Thank you! your flag was submitted.