Sicilian Cauliflower Pasta
- Kosher salt
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese, plus more for topping (optional)
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs. Reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking water, then drain the pasta.
Meanwhile, trim the thick stems off the cauliflower and coarsely grate the florets on the large holes of a box grater (it's fine if some small florets remain whole). Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower, raisins, garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower is crisp-tender and slightly browned, about 4 minutes.
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the pasta, parsley, dill, lemon juice, cheese and 1/2 cup of the reserved cooking water. Add more cooking water to loosen, if needed. Season with salt. Serve with more grated cheese.
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine