Slow-Cooker Caribbean Beef Stew
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium carrots, cut crosswise into thirds
- 1 1 -inch piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 10 -ounce can Mexican-style diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 4 scallions, sliced (optional)
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
Strip the leaves from 1 sprig thyme and chop; combine with the flour, allspice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon white pepper in a large bowl. Add the beef and toss to coat. Put the potatoes, carrots, the remaining 2 thyme sprigs, the ginger and garlic in a 5-to-6-quart slow cooker. Add the beef, reserving any excess seasoned flour in the bowl. Whisk 1/2 cup water and the Worcestershire sauce into the reserved seasoned flour, then add to the slow cooker. Pour the tomatoes on top. Cover and cook on low 7 hours or on high 4 hours.
Add the scallions to the stew and season with salt. Divide among bowls and serve with hot sauce.
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Thank you! your flag was submitted.