White Chicken Chili Stew
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, sliced (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Kosher salt
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 18 -ounce bag frozen yucca, thawed, or 2 medium baking
- potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 2 carrots, cut on bias into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 1 to 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, sliced
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken, skinned and shredded into large pieces
- 1 19 -ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro, chopped
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the scallions, garlic, jalapeno, chili powder and 2 teaspoons salt and cook until soft, about 2 minutes. Add the chicken broth, yucca, corn, carrots and chipotles and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer and cook until the yucca is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir to break up the yucca and thicken the broth slightly.
Add the chicken and beans and cook, stirring occasionally, to heat and thicken, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro before serving.
Photograph by Antonis Achiellos
Thank you! your flag was submitted.