- 1 pound veal scaloppini (about 12 slices)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- About 2 1/2 tablespoons butter
- About 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Sprinkle the veal with salt and pepper. Melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter with 2 teaspoons of oil in a heavy large frying pan over high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add the veal and saute until just cooked through and golden, about 45 to 60 seconds per side. Transfer the veal to a platter and tent with foil to keep it warm. Repeat with the remaining veal, adding more butter and oil to the pan as necessary.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil in the same pan over high heat. Add the mushrooms and shallots. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and saute until the mushrooms are golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add the wine, broth and saffron, and simmer until the liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add the cream and boil until the sauce thickens slightly, stirring often, about 4 minutes. Add the peas and return the sauce to a simmer. Season the sauce, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Pour the sauce over the veal and serve with lemon wedges.