Home-style Roast Beef Sandwich with Gravy
- 5 carrots, cut into large chunks
- Ribs from 1 bunch of celery, leaves removed
- 1 onion, peeled, ends trimmed, halved root to stem
- 6 pounds beef top round, trimmed
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup steak seasoning mix (such as McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning)
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon veal demi-glace (found in your local grocery store)
- 20 slices white bread, for serving
- Mashed red potatoes, for serving
1. For the roast: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the carrots, celery, and onion in the bottom of a roasting pan. (Nadine uses the vegetables instead of a rack.) Add enough water to just cover the vegetables.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and sear all sides of the meat. Set the meat on top of the vegetables, cover the pan with foil, and roast until a meat thermometer inserted in the meat registers 130 degrees F for medium-rare, about 2 hours. Transfer the roast to a cutting board and let it rest for 30 minutes.
4. To make the gravy : Strain the roasting-pan juices; discard the vegetables. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk in the flour. Stir in the roasting pan juices and the demiglace, and simmer until thickened.
5. Slice the roast beef very thin. Put the slices in the gravy. (Nadine likes to smother the beef in the gravy.) Plate up the sandwiches with the meat between two slices of white bread and ladle more of the gravy on top. Serve with mashed red potatoes.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Roast Beef Sandwich with Watercress and Horseradish Mayonnaise, Picante Roast Beef Sandwich with Garlic, Lime and Green Chile, Cold Roast Fillet of Beef with Cracked Pepper Crust, Beef Bourguignon Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Beef Wellington Recipes, Roast, Pork Roast Recipes, Baked Chicken Recipes