Hot Brown Soup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus melted butter for brushing
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded white American cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1 cup diced deli ham
- 1 cup diced leftover roast turkey
- 6 slices baguette
- 6 slices bacon
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the broth and cream; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low, then stir in the American cheese and 1 cup cheddar until melted. Add the ham and turkey and heat through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
Spread the baguette slices on a baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Transfer to the oven and toast until golden, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook the bacon in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, turning, until crisp, about 10 minutes; drain on paper towels, then crumble.
Photograph by David Malosh
Thank you! your flag was submitted.