Adobo Grilled Chicken Salad in a Tortilla Bowl
- 4 (10-inch) whole-wheat or multi-grain tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped (remove the seeds to make it less spicy), plus 2 tablespoons the adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups baby spinach leaves or mixed mesclun greens
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 4 Adobo Grilled Chicken Breasts, sliced, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges, for serving
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder or flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon achiote powder
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Nonstick cooking spray or oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place a small dish of water next to your work surface. To make the tortilla bowls, place 4 empty (15-ounce) cans, open side down, on a baking pan. Using a pastry brush, soften the tortillas by brushing both sides with a little water, and then brush with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Drape the tortillas over the cans and bake until firm, about 5 to 7 minutes. Using tongs, turn the tortilla bowls right side up, discard the cans, and continue to bake until golden and crisp, another 4 minutes.
Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until it's fragrant, about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes, chipotles with adobo sauce, and 1/2 cup water, cooking until slightly thick, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in the beans and cook until heated through, season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat.
Place the tortilla bowls right side up on plates and fill each with a handful of greens. Divide the bean mixture between the tortilla bowls and top with a sprinkle of feta. Fan the sliced chicken on top and garnish with chopped cilantro. Drizzle with a little olive oil and serve with lime wedges.
Delicioso Adobo Grilled ChickenAdobo:
Combine all of the ingredients in a small glass jar with an airtight lid and shake to blend. Store in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks.
Season chicken with the adobo seasoning. Heat a grill pan to medium heat and spray with nonstick cooking spray or drizzle with oil. Place the chicken on the grill pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side depending on the size of the breasts.
Note: This recipe for adobo is a staple seasoning for many of my Latin recipes. You can make a large batch, store it in an airtight container and use it as a flavor enhancer in your favorite dishes.
Yield: about 1/2 cup adobo, 6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Ease of preparation: Easy
More Recipes and Ideas:
Asian-Style Grilled Chicken Salad With Cherry-Peanut Dressing, Marinated and Grilled Chicken Salad with Tropical Fruits, Marcona Almonds, Baby Lettuces and Lemon-Ginger Vinaigrette, "Ono-lishious": Grilled Sesame Chicken Satay Papaya Salad with Hoisin Balsamic Vinaigrette, Sweet And Sour Chicken Recipes, Easy Snack, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Chicken Breast Recipes, Macaroni and Cheese Recipes, Easy Main Dish
Thank you! your flag was submitted.