Classic Italian Sub with Roasted Eggplant
- 1/2 eggplant, thinly sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- Homemade Italian Dressing, recipe follows
- 4 crusty hoagie rolls, cut in half lengthwise
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into thin slices
- 1 pound genoa salami, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces hot capicola, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1 pound mortadella, thinly sliced
- 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 medium yellow tomato, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Homemade Italian Dressing:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 shallot, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Lay the eggplant slices on a baking sheet in a single layer and brush liberally with the Homemade Italian Dressing. Roast in the oven until cooked through and golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
Build the sandwich on the rolls with the mozzarella first, then the salami, capicola, prosciutto, mortadella, roasted eggplant and top with the lettuce, tomato and a generous drizzle of the Homeade Italian Dressing. Serve while blasting Louis Prima.Homemade Italian Dressing:
Place the vinegar, mustard, sugar, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, garlic and shallots in a blender or food processor. While the machine is running, slowly drizzle the olive oil through the blender top or feed tube until the dressing is combined and emulsified. Adjust the seasoning if necessary; add more oil if you want it less acidic. Store the dressing up to 2 weeks in the fridge. Yield: 3/4 cup.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.