Pull and Peel Italian Sub
- Chile Oil:
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Balsamic Reduction:
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 spring oregano
- 1 spring thyme
- Pinch salt
- Pull and Peel Italian Sub:
- One pound store-bought pizza dough, room temperature
- 6 slices fontina, such as Stella Fontinella
- 6 slices shaved prosciutto
- 6 slices shaved mortadella
- 6 slices capicola
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn, for garnish
For the oil: Combine the oil, red pepper flakes, garlic and salt, and allow to marinate for up to 30 minutes. This can be done while the oven preheats.
For the balsamic reduction: Combine vinegar, garlic, oregano, thyme and salt in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until it reduces by half and becomes syrup-like, about 10 minutes, then strain.
For the sub: Preheat oven to 550 degrees F. Preheat a pizza stone in the oven on the middle rack.
Roll the pizza dough into a thin 12-inch round on a floured pizza peel. Place on the pizza stone in the oven and bake until slightly puffed and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and add the fontina, prosciutto, mortadella and capicola evenly on top of the dough. Finish with the balsamic reduction and torn basil leaves. Serve with the side of chile oil.