Kiawe-Grilled Flank Steak and Spicy Green Papaya Salad
- For the Marinade/Dressing:
- 2 ounces salad oil
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass, minced (lower part of inner stem)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons patis ( fish sauce)
- 4 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 Hawaiian or Thai chile pepper, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sambal ( chili paste)
- 8 ounces flank steak
- 1 green papaya, skinned, seeded and julienned
- 1 Maui onion, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and julienned
- Hawaiian sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mixed greens, for garnish
- 10 to 15 fresh mint leaves
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro leaves
Place all dressing ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Divide in half.
Marinate the steak covered and refrigerated overnight in half of the marinade/dressing. Remove steak and discard the marinade. Season with salt and pepper. Grill to medium rare and let rest 15 minutes. When slightly cooled, thinly slice across the grain.
In a mixing bowl, toss the sliced steak, green papaya, onion, red pepper, and remaining dressing. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve on a platter or over mixed greens.
Note : Allow the flavors to marry by chilling the salad a couple of hours before serving. This salad holds very well and is good the next day. Can also be prepared a day ahead.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.