Linguini and Lobster Caribe
- For the pasta water:
- Boiling water seasoned with 1/4 cup kosher salt
- Reserved lobster shells, oiled annatto seed, reserved onion 1/2, and fresh culantro
- For the lobster:
- 2 ounces achiote oil (2 ounces extra-virgin olive oil with 1/2 teaspoon annatto seed -reserve oiled seeds for pasta water)
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 thinly sliced Spanish onion (reserve other 1/2 for pasta water)
- 4 lobster tails cleaned and roughly chopped (reserve shells for pasta water)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch Spanish culantro: (you may substitute with fresh cilantro) 2 tablespoons chopped Spanish culantro, plus 1/2 teaspoon thinly sliced or chiffonade Spanish culantro, for garnish (reserve the rest for pasta water)
- 2 ounces white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 ounces quality chicken broth
- 8 ounces thin linguini or your favorite pasta
For the pasta water: Begin by bringing your pasta water to a boil then reducing to a simmer. Add reserved lobster shells, oiled annatto seed, 1/2 onion, salt and fresh culantro. You may do this a day in advance.
For the lobster: Bring a saute pan to medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 ounces achiote oil and 1 tablespoon butter; adding remaining oil to simmering pasta water with seeds. Drop pasta into seasoned water. Add sliced onion to saute pan and cook until slightly caramelized. Add lobster meat and continue to saute until slightly firm and opaque, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add sliced garlic, tomato and chopped culantro. Saute lightly for 1 minute. Add white wine and crushed red pepper. Reduce by one quarter. Add chicken broth and simmer. Add butter and stir to incorporate. Drain pasta and toss lightly with lobster saute. Plate and top with shaved Parmesan and chiffonade of culantro and serve immediately.
This recipe was provided by a finalist, who may or may not be a professional cook, for The Next Food Network Star. Food Network has not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Grilled Spiny Lobster with a Warm Tomato Salad, Garlic Creamed New Potatoes and a Drizzle of White Truffle Oil
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay