Pizza By the Yard
- 24 ounces pre-purchased pizza dough
- For 1 half of pizza:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound ripe Gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme leaves
- For other half of pizza:
- 1/4 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 cup Quick Tomato Sauce, recipe follows
- 1/2 cup diced Calabrese salami
- 1/2 pound mozzarella, sliced
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
Lay 2 pizza stones or flat baking sheets side by side in oven.
Heat a dry saute pan on the stove over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, tilt the pan and add the extra-virgin olive oil. Add the onions, salt, and a twist of pepper. Lower the heat to medium and saute, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the onions are caramelized.
Roll out dough on a long peel or 2 cutting boards to 1/4-inch thick. Use a bit of flour on the board to keep dough from sticking.
Top half of the pizza with caramelized onions, Gorgonzola cheese, thyme, and grated Parmesan. Top the other half of the pizza with the tomato sauce, the Calabrese salami, the mozzarella slices and sprinkle with the grated Pecorino and chopped oregano. Bake until super crispy and cheese is bubbling.