Spinaci (Spinach) alla Padella (Frying Pan)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 4 (10-ounce) bags spinach, washed, big stems removed, or 12 cups raw, roughly torn mustard greens (about 2 pounds)
- About 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon wedges
Bring 1 gallon of water to boil in a large pot with 2 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt. Add the spinach, pushing it down into the water with a skimmer, and immediately remove it to a bowl of ice water.
1 cup and they can be wrapped in plastic and refrigerated for up to a day).
Cut each ball in half and then in half again to chop up the spinach.
Place 1/4 cup of the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the garlic to the pan and shake the pan often, for about 1 minute or until the garlic is lightly browned. Add the spinach and saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste. It will seem dry. Remove the spinach to a bowl, sprinkle with a little olive oil and garnish with lemon wedges.
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello