- 2 2/3 cups superfine sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup diced candied fruit, plus additional for topping
- 1 cup sliced almonds
Meanwhile, in an electric mixer, beat egg whites to form stiff peaks. When sugar reaches 260 degrees F, slowly pour in a thin stream into egg whites, while the mixer is running. Add extracts, beat on medium speed for 13 minutes, then fold the candied fruit into the mixture. Mix for another 2 minutes, then fold in 1/2 cup of the almonds. Pour mixture into 9-inch square cake pan sprayed with baking spray or butter the pan and then dust with flour. Top with remaining almonds and additional candied fruit.
Let sit overnight, then cut into serving pieces.
Recipe courtesy of Michael Chiarello