Orange Sleepy Poppy Cupcake with Spiked Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- Orange Poppy Cake Batter:
- 21 tablespoons (2 sticks plus 5 tablespoons) unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons poppy seed filling
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- 5 drops pure orange oil
- Zest of 3 oranges
- Orange Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 cup cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
- 2 drops pure orange oil
- Zest of 2 large oranges
For the orange poppy cake batter: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners (for a total of 26 cupcakes).
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, granulated sugar and poppy seed filling. Stir in the buttermilk. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk thoroughly. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and incorporate without over-mixing. Stir in the vanilla, orange oil and orange zest.
Fill the cupcake liners two-thirds full; bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
For the orange cream cheese frosting: In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium high until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the cream cheese and beat an additional 4 minutes. Turn off the mixer, add the confectioners' sugar one cup at a time and mix until fully incorporated. While on a low speed, mix in the orange juice, orange liqueur, orange oil and orange zest. Beat on high for an additional 2 minutes.
Using a piping bag, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
Contestant/Competition Recipe: This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested it for home use and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.