- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 pound green or yellow wax beans
- 1 small zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 1 15-ounce can white beans or chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup broken spaghetti or other small pasta
- 3/4 cup store-bought pesto
- Grated parmesan cheese and crusty bread, for serving (optional)
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and onion and cook, stirring constantly, until the onion is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, tomato paste and 1 tablespoon salt and cook 1 more minute. Add 7 cups water, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, reduce the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
When ready to serve, whisk 1/3 cup pesto into the soup. Ladle into bowls and top with the remaining pesto. Sprinkle with parmesan and serve with bread, if desired.
Per serving: Calories 479; Fat 30 g (Saturated 7 g); Cholesterol 15 mg; Sodium 1,922 mg; Carbohydrate 39 g; Fiber 9 g; Protein 17 g
Photograph by Antonis Achilleos