Caponata Pasta Bake
- 1 1/2 quarts prepared caponata, (recipe follows, halved)
- 1/2 pound ziti rigate pasta, cooked to al dente, about 8 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups shredded provolone (available on dairy aisle of market)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Chopped parsley, garnish
- Serving suggestion: Mixed greens tossed with fresh herbs, dressed with oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper
- 2 tablespoons (2 turns around the pan) extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cubanelle Italian long green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup large green olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup black kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1 (3-ounce) jar capers, drained
- 1/2 cups golden raisins, a couple of handfuls
- 1 medium firm eggplant, diced
- 1 (32-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Preheat broiler to high.
Reheat caponata in the microwave or on the stovetop. Cook pasta until al dente in salted water, drain and transfer back into hot pot. Add hot caponata and combine.
Transfer pasta and vegetables to a (9 by 13-inch) baking dish. Top with shredded provolone, crushed pepper flakes, and parsley.
Place baking dish under broiler to brown and bubble cheese. Serve immediately.
If you prepare a salad, keep it simple. Mixed greens tossed with fresh herbs, dressed with oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper.Caponata:
Place the cutting board near the stovetop. Preheat a big, deep pot over medium heat. Add oil, garlic, and crushed pepper. As you chop vegetables (peppers, onion, and celery), add them to the pot. Once vegetables are in there, increase heat a bit.
Stir in olives and capers, raisins. Salt the diced eggplant and stir into the pot. Add tomatoes, diced and crushed, to the pot and stir caponata well to combine. Cover pot and cook caponata 15 to 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Stir in parsley and remove pan from heat.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.