- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast tenders
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 turn of the pan
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 russet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced or thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/3 palm full
- 2 tablespoons flour, a handful
- 1 quart chicken broth or stock, canned or paper container, preferred brand Kitchen Basics
- 1 small box biscuit mix(preferred brand Jiffy Mix)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup frozen green peas
Dice tenders into bite size pieces and set aside. Wash hands.
Place a large pot on stove over medium high heat. Add oil, butter, vegetables and bay leaf and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Season mixture with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Add flour to the pan and cook 2 minutes. Stir broth or stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Add chicken to the broth and stir.
Place biscuit mix in a bowl. Combine with 1/2 cup warm water and parsley. Drop tablespoonfuls of prepared mix into the pot, spacing dumplings evenly. Cover pot tightly and reduce heat to medium low. Steam dumplings 8 to 10 minutes. Remove cover and stir chicken and dumplings to thicken sauce a bit. Stir peas into the pan, remove chicken and dumplings from heat and serve in shallow bowls.