This recipe was especially designed for Sabia Rose to make for Bill and Vicki, 'cause she's Daddy's AND Mommy's Little Girl and a really good cook, too!
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 times around the pan in a slow stream
- 2 stems fresh rosemary leaves
- 2 stems fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup pre-sliced fresh mushrooms, available in produce section or, Grown Helper may slice for you, about 1/3 pound
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can stewed tomatoes with peppers, onions and celery
- 2 roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 package chopped frozen spinach, defrosted in microwave and drained
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 package chicken breast tenders, 3/4 pound to 1 pound
- 1 pound fresh ravioli, any flavor
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or Romano to pass at table
- Crusty Italian bread or rolls, to pass at table
Heat a big soup pot over medium high heat. Have a GH (grown-up helper) do this for you.
WHACK the garlic with a fist or the palm of your hand. Separate the skins from the smashed garlic and throw just the skins away into the garbage bowl. WHACK the 3 cloves of garlic with the bottom of a small saucepan. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, to the soup pot. Throw in the garlic and 2 stems each of the rosemary and fresh thyme herbs. The leaves will fall off the stems and give a delicious and really cool flavor to your special stew. Add the mushrooms, too and help stir as the mushrooms cook 3 to 5 minutes. Season the mushrooms up with a little salt and pepper as they're cooking.
Next, have the GH open the can of tomatoes and pour into the soup pot. Use a sharp, small knife to chop the red roasted bell peppers. Keep your fingers on the hand that is not holding the knife curled under so you don't chop off a whole finger! You just want to cut up those peppers into pieces as big as your mouth, that's what they call "bite-size." Add the chopped up roasted red peppers to the tomatoes and stir. Squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the spinach. Add spinach, tomato sauce and chicken broth to the pot.. Stir really slowly or the soup will slosh out of your pot! Stir until the spinach is all broken up in the broth. Have the GH cover the soup and raise the heat to high.
Have the GH cut up the chicken for you on a separate cutting board from the one you cut up the vegetables on. Tell them to use a plastic board. Cut the chicken tenders into 1-inch pieces across and add them to the stew. Tell the GH to go wash up right away with lots of soap and hot water so that the raw chicken doesn't get on anything else in the kitchen or any other food.
When the stew comes up to a boil again, add the ravioli and leave the lid off. Cook stew until the ravioli is almost done, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the stew cool down a little bit. Have your GH serve up the stew and pass cheese and bread at the table to go with it.