- 3 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon coarse pepper, eyeball the amount in the palm of your hand: 1 teaspoon is equal to about 1/3 of a palm full
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Pinch salt
- 3 hearts romaine lettuce, chopped
Combine the mayonnaise, lemon zest (grated yellow part of lemon) and lemon juice. To get the juice out of a lemon, heat it up in microwave for 10 seconds on high. Cut the lemon across in half. Squeeze the lemon halves while holding them upright over the dressing bowl so that the seeds stay with the lemon halves, not in the dressing! Add pepper to the dressing bowl, too. Whisk the dressing and pour in the extra-virgin olive oil while you whisk. If you pour in a slow, steady stream, 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil will pour out in a count to the number six. Once the oil is combined with the acid (the lemon juice) and the mayonnaise, you can switch utensils and stir in the cheese and a pinch of salt with a spoon or rubber spatula.
Chop up the lettuce into 2-inch pieces. Place the lettuce in a salad bowl and top with the dressing when you are ready to serve dinner.